How often have you picked up a running magazine with inspiring cover stories like “Running your best 10k”, or “Getting back to running after the Christmas break”, only to find that, even though it seems to be aimed at Joe Public, it’s really filled with technical mumbo-jumbo from Professor Personal Best, or Olympic triathlete Sally Super Sprint, involving things like VO2 max, lactate threshold and aerobic capacity – enough to make your head hurt so bad that you feel like rather lying down and postponing your long run until tomorrow.
Well, that’s not what we’re aiming for with this blog. What you will find instead are the everyday experiences of two regular Joe’s (a Jill and a Joe, to be more exact) who love to run, and to get out into nature. Who run because its fun, and who enjoy the endorphin rush that comes for free. We’re not fast. Heck, we’re not even average – we’re dedicated back-of-the-packers. But we know that even if we go out and run five kilometers at a seven minute pace, we’ve achieved more than 90% of the population who’s biggest exercise achievement for the day is walking from the car to the office (or from the office to the canteen, whichever is further).
Jog around the Blog is a a long-form love letter to running, jogging, hiking and tramping. And sometimes even cycling, swimming, or whatever other activity tickles our collective fancy.
For anyone who loves stepping out for an invigorating early morning jog, but finds getting out of bed tough as hell. Who loves the burn of cold air in their lungs, irrespective of technicalities like fartleks, negative splits, or 90% race pace. For whom a black (or missing) big toe nail is just part of your look. For whom sharing war stories with the back-of-the-pack gang at races is as important as clocking up a new PB.
Whether you prefer the solitude of a daily lone run, get energised by a weekly run around the neighbourhood with regular running buddies, or love hitting some far away mountain track, we sincerely hope you will find something of interest on this blog.
Gerry and Wouna
Our running adventures include:
- 4 Peaks (2005, 2006, 2008)
- Mont-Aux-Sources 50km (2008, 2009)
- Cape Odyssey, 200+km, 5 days stage race (2008)
- Outeniqua Traverse 38km (2009)
- Ithala Game Park Challenge 35km (2008)
- Rustenberg Mountain run (2008)
- Botshabelo (2008)
- Donkey Pass (2008)
- Entabeni Big Five (2008)
- The Dual 42km (2011)
- T42 Central Plateau Traverse 42km (2011, 2016)
- Marton to Wanganui 66.4km: 2-person relay (2011, 2015)
- Karioi Classic 44km (2014)
- Taniwha Trail Ultra 60km (2014)
- Tarawera 100km (2015)
- Tarawera 60km (2016)
Road marathons and ultras
- Waterfall Mall Marathon (2003)
- Tarentaal Trio Marathon (2003)
- Elands Valley Marathon (2003)
- Two Oceans Ultra Marathon 56km (2003, 2015)
- Parmalat Port Elizabeth Marathon (2003)
- Mountain to Surf Marathon (2008, 2011, 2015)
- Dawn to Dusk 12-hour circuit race, 114km: 2-person relay (2008)
- Knysna Marathon (2007)
- Auckland Marathon (2011)
- Rotorua Marathon (2014, 2016)
- Armstrong Wellington Marathon (2014)
- Wairarapa Country Marathon (2014)
- Flying Pink Marathon (2014)
- Wanganui 3 Bridges Marathon (2014)
- Taupo Marathon (2015)
- Queenstown Marathon (2015)
- Hawke’s Bay International Marathon (2016)
- Lords of the Ring – Massey 21 Circuit Marathon (2016) – unofficial official marathon
- Manawatu Striders inaugural marathon (2016)
- Ultra Interval Challenge, 80km (2016)
And numerous 10km, 15km, 21.1km and 32km races.
- Mount Kilimanjaro (2005)
- Walking for Water (2010) 800km, 26 days unsupported walk through East and West Cape, South Africa, just Gerry and myself.